[rescue] SF280R hardware problems

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 3 22:02:05 CST 2002

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 07:22:47PM -0800, Kyle R Maxwell wrote:
> Yeah, that's happened to us a few times -- same equipment. EDP errors,
> right? The Sun tech said something about a batch of bad CPU's, they've
> been seeing this a lot.

Actually it was just AFSR halts, bad traps, etc.

Had this:

Two identical machines.  Both loaded up (dual 750s, 8G RAM, dual 36G
drives (mirrored)).  First machine, CPU0 goes bad.  I yank the drives,
throw them in machine 2, reboot.  all is well.  Tonight, the second
machine started flaking.  I went in, took cpu0 out of box 1, put cpu1
in its place, put drives back in, rebooted, its fine..

Also updated the OpenBoot from 4.0.40 to 4.5.4 (the one running was
over a year old..).  Maybe that will fix some of the problems.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net