[rescue] on-topic q about Jaz and Suns and SGIs

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 3 09:02:48 CST 2002

I have not used one before, but my wife does at work, and they have
switched over to CD-R/CD-RW at her office - compared to current CD-R/RW
drives, there is very little benefit (if any) to Jaz drive over CD-R/RW.

I think the price for the Jaz w/3 2 Gig disks is a good price, but how
old are the disks/how much life is left in them (they wear out), and if
tey do, consider replacement cost for new medai.

Is there something about a Jaz disk that appeals to you compared with a
CD-R/RW drive? www.dirtcheapdrives.com has brand new Plextor CD-RW
drives (SCSI, of course - internal) for $199, extenal SCSI CD-RW are
closer to $300.

Hope this helps,

Ken

On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 03:41 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Looking for experiences with the SCSI Jaz drives (removable 1 and 2 GB
> disks) on Suns and or SGIs.
>
> Good / bad, etc?
>
> I have seen a Jaz external SCSI with 3 x 2GB disks for $133 - is that
> a good price?

Ken

n2vip at yahoo.com
n2vip at mac.com