[rescue] An interesting sound

Andrew Weiss rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 2 12:08:16 CST 2002

One of my PC's on my desk at work (the Solaris 8 box) has started making
strange sounds from the hard disk I believe.  It was silent then out of
nowhere I hear light tiny sounds that remind me of a circular saw
contacting something it's cutting... not loud or anything... it happens
every now and then fading in and out.  I telnetted in and its still
happily running.  It's a test machine anyways and I haven't done anything
with it for the 22 days it has been up so far.  HD failing?

Andrew

There are, of course, thousands of people who claim to be sys admins who
have the single "skill" of working it out from a gui tool. Ask these people
to move 500 users accounts or 300 virtual hosts from one machine to another
and they are as useful as chocolate firemen. -- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot
8/15/01

UNIX and cigarettes, both addictive and both contain tar.