[rescue] happy new years and shit like that

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 2 00:24:14 CST 2002

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 11:22:30PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> What did everyone else do?

Amy was here at teh house, with a 101F temp and the flu; I spent the night
shuttling back and forth between work and home, taking care of her.

here's how yesterday went:

Was supposed to be my day off, since I was the ONLY unix admin on duty
last week during the holidays, and have been pushing some serious overwork
lately.

Went to bed 9:30 Sunday night.  Woke up 9am Monday morning.
9:10 shower.
9:40 finish thawing, out of shower.
9:50 reading email.  email from work. "hope youre reading email today.."
9:55 head into office to reboot linux box, it will only take five minutes
10:05 -
        Reboot <linux box> that went down.
        boss: "oh, while you're here, can you bounce <other box>?"
        me: sure.
        <bounce other box>
        <get page, <big alphaserver> is down>
        <go start the 15-minute boot process on big alphaserver>
        <finish booting alphaserver>
        <go to lunch>
        <come back>
        boss: "<rs6k> has been down since thursday, they just bothered
               to tell us.. can you please take a look at it?"
        <send corefile to compaq for alphaserver>
        boss: "oh , btw, that rs6k will need a monitor and keyboard"
        <haul 20" ibm monitor w/cable, rs6k kb/mouse, out to truck>
        <haul equipment 3 blocks away to other building>
        <get equipment up steps and into building>
        <spend 20 minutes trying to get card access into PBX room>
        < get access into pbx room>
        < .. rs6k has no video card.>
        <find laptop, install redhat>
        <go home, get serial "connect anything to anything" cables>
        <haul laptop over to other building>
        <connect up laptop, no response from serial console>
        <say fuck it, go home>
6:15pm - home for the day, after my "just take five minutes" reboot.

Boss said "please, take wednesday off. I'm sorry."

11:15pm - page.  <alphaserver> is down again.
11:24pm - ">>> boot [ENTER]" (yes, I'm < 5 minutes from work)
11:42pm - "<system> console login:"
11:50pm - back at home with Amy
12:00am - happy new year.
5:00am - head to bed.  Woke up at 2pm or so today, I think.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net