[rescue] those who should be shot

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Thu Feb 28 20:11:46 CST 2002

BB> He put an atx motherboard.. in an Indigo case.

BB> http://www.tiger-marmalade.com/~james/iris_indigo/

Auughh!!!  First the PDP-11, now this!
What's next, a bar in a Vax....Oh, wait a minute....

Personally I think this would only be tolerable under the following
circumstances:
(in no particular order)

1) The system board is completely burnt (must have soot) or completely
missing and made of Super-Unobtanium. (Dave M or Mike N can't even
find one.)  Of course if this is the case you might want to check if a
museum is looking for it - see number 3.

2) The case is used for something that is totally unrelated to
computing - especially the system's original function.  It's one thing
to use a dead carcass to store your beer in, but if you put any other
computer system in it you might as well have taken the time to do the
system justice by restoring it.

3)  The system itself is not a rare one-of-a-kind.  Something like you
get this odd shaped box that you recognize from somewhere and then
realize it's the same box you saw a picture of in the Smithsonian with
a note about "If you find one of these please contact us."  Then you
use it to hold rotten tomatoes and dead batteries for your still-life
art project for high school/college. No!  I don't _think_ so! *thwack*

/rant
Sorry.

Mike Hebel                         mailto:nimitz at owc.net