[rescue] let's revisit the whole FC-AL thing

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Thu Feb 28 15:25:00 CST 2002

>I got my last bach of FC-AL cards for 46$.  that was 4.
>	Nick
>
>On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Joshua Snyder wrote:
>
>>  Well take a look at http://www.tcnj.edu/~feuss2/fibre/fibre.html not much
>>  info on how to wire the tcards(and SSA style boards) but many good pics.
>>  When I last looked into making tcards I believe I determined that it would
>>  take a minimum of 12 solder joints per tcard.  The reason I didn't go much
>>  farther than just looking into making tcards was the cost of the controller.
>>  Most of us will have a Scsi controller laying around, but I didn't have
>>  FC-AL controller.  And at the time the cheapest one I could find was about
>>  $140.  I figured by the time I got the controller and drives I would be
>  > better off with plain scsi...

How hard would it be build one of these into an array or two?  I
wouldn't mind building a bunch of FC-AL drive slots into my Proliant
6000.  With the proper resources it shouldn't be too hard to build
shelves for the 6000 would it?  I could use the 6000's power
systems... and I can run cables inside the machine.    How hard would
this be?  I've never done anything like this before.

daniel