[rescue] using blender alone is going to be painful

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Feb 27 13:25:24 CST 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:57:23PM -0500, James Sharp wrote:
> I've been playing around with Tachyon lately...it uses a network aware MPI
> for parallelism.  I've got it spanned across a quad P3/333 machine, a
> 433Mhz 21264 Alpha, a 1.4Ghz Athlon, and a 650Mhz P3 machine.
>
> ZOOOOOOOM.  The only problem is that its the result of a college grad's
> project, so there's really no UI and its about as userfriendly as a bad
> case of herpes.  But it does take a file format that I can generate via
> another program that takes in standard files like DXF & OBJ....so we'll
> see what I can do with it.

Hmm.  He is trying to make it real time.  That's kinda cool.

I think that as a ray tracer of the non real time variety, it is overly
simplistic.  In particular, judging from the feature list and pictures, it
depererately needs radiosity or some other method to help "dirty up" the
rays.  Basically, it seems fairly similar to many student written raytracers
that get started, then don't go anywhere.  Well, he went a little farther than
most, but not far enough.

--
Joshua D. Boyd