[rescue] Re: Computing Furniture Applications

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 27 10:18:35 CST 2002

There are epoxy based paints that are incredibly tough performers and can be
bought in a can and used with a brush, but I don't know what you would use
as a solvent to clean your brush with. For acrylics, I don't know about
handling, since that brings up issues like the acids in palmsweat. Also,
DuPont Imron is (I think) an acrylic with much better than normal wear
characteristics. Locomotives are painted with Imron (on most rail lines
anyways), and they suffer tremendous abuse of their finishes (acids from
deisel exhaust, once-a-year washing, etc.). Lacquer auto finishes would
stand up very well, but some skill is required to get a good looking finish,
and I don't think matte (flat) finishes are avaible in lacquer. Also, some
plastics will either craze or melt when painted with lacquer.

James Fogg, Network Engineer
Vicinity Corporation - New Hampshire
(603) 442-1751