[rescue] two-factor authentication (topic change)

Gary Nichols garynichols at mysun.com
Tue Feb 26 15:25:58 CST 2002

I've walked into sites where:
1) All machines were ON the internet.  We're talking a router plugged
into a hub.  You get the picture.
2) Network had the best firewalls, IDS systems and VPN solutions
implemented -- and the damn sysadmins poked tcp/23 through the firewall
so they could telnet from home.  UUUUUUUAAAHHHHHHHHHH *slam*slam*slam*
3) Same network as #2 - they had a modem running in AA mode plugged
into the back of their main AIX box - and when you connected you got a
shell prompt!  AAAHAHHHHHHHHHHH
4) NT VPN access - accounts had a password of 'password'

Ah, the list could go on and on....

Sometimes being a security guy is a lesson in patience, understanding
and utter fricking stupidity.