[rescue] no more GUI consoles!

Jeffrey S. Sharp jss.rescue at subatomix.com
Tue Feb 26 09:20:25 CST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Well let me count some of the ways GUI _consoles_ are ludicrious:

Here's one: GUIs require much more resources, including processor time,
than do non-GUI interfaces.  Those resources are then not spent processing
transactions, which is the *purpose* of your server.  Thus a server with a
GUI interface is not doing all it could do, and you either have to buy a
better server or more servers because of it.

I guess if you don't care about your servers' throughput, then you're fine
with a GUI console.  But how many businesses don't care about their
servers' throughput?

What's even more ludicrous is people who run 3D OpenGL screensavers on
their GUI-consoled servers.

--
Jeffrey S. Sharp
jss at subatomix.com