[rescue] I see da lite

Andrew Sydelko andrew at sydelko.org
Tue Feb 26 07:10:12 CST 2002

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 05:15, you wrote:
> I've been thinking about serial consoles today and how they could
> possibly be useful in my chaotic computer setup. I hashed the idea
> of using a Linux box with an old 8 port serial card as a terminal
> server on an NZ Linux mailing list. Nothing useful so far.
>
> As I've never used a terminal server outside of the MS world what
> would I need to do to turn a a low end Pentium + Digiboard 8 port
> serial card into a terminal server ?
>
> Getting the card working with Linux is a piece of cake. Cabling I
> can deal with. But what software to use ? Is there any source code
> that provides an easy to use interface + terminal emulation for
> up to 8 computers ?

I'm a big fan of conserver <http://www.conserver.com/>. From their
website:

"Conserver is an application that allows multiple users to watch a
    serial console at the same time.  It can log the data, allows users
    to take write-access of a console (one at a time), and has a
    variety of bells and whistles to accentuate that basic
    functionality."

--andy.