[rescue] Why .* sucks (was Re: FDDI card)

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Feb 25 14:57:11 CST 2002

[ On Monday, February 25, 2002 at 01:22:52 (-0800), Robert Novak wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] Why .* sucks (was Re: FDDI card)
>
> A lot of modern boards seem to have serial console redirect options, and
> some boards I've seen (Netapp in particular) have some form of openboot
> that's ONLY accessible from serial console.

None, not one single one, of the PC motherboards with so-called serial
consoles are usable in any way, shape, or form.  I too have tested them,
and not one single one has even approached being usable, even with a
local 19.2kbps link!  Not the Pheonix "ServerBIOS", not Compaq's crud,
none of them.

> Ever seen a video card on a
> Netapp as it shipped from the factory?

What does that have to do with a PC-based server other than the fact
that Netapp use _some_ of the same OEM components that PC makers use?

--
								Greg A. Woods