[rescue] Maya Personal Edition/Mac available

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Tue Feb 26 00:05:01 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 11:53:00PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Well, with blender it doesn't matter.  Were you actually able to afford Maya,
> I'd have it licensed to the Octane for dual head action.

except that RE2 would probably stomp SI right?  also, i'd rather have a dual
headed Onyx. :)  i really wish i could find one of those damn cardcages.

> For the physics stuff, it is possible to have it done by outside programs, and
> either merge the two sets of animation together before handing to rendering,
> or import the physics into maya, blender, whatever.  It just requires more
> planning.

hmmm.  interesting thoughts are going through my mind.  hmmmmmm.

> > BMRT will do distributed rendering?  that would rock.
> Any decent rendering system will.  BMRT will even act as a ray serving plugin

so i could do all my work on the Onyx, then click render and have the Onyx just
use the Challenge automatically for rendering as well as itself.  nice.  i like
that a LOT.

> to PRMan, which is difficult to explain, but pretty cool (although, PRMan also
> is extremely expensive for machines like your challenge).

why couldn't i pick a cheap hobby?  :)

> As long as you are compositing animation layers, the compositing software isn't
> too hard to write (good rendering software exports alpha layers and hopefully
> also depth buffers).  I am far closer to being able to do this well than I am
> to being able to composite complex live video and animation together.

but even so, i'm not writing anything.  so what would my options be?

> But generally, the software is shockingly, appalingly expensive for these
> beasts.  It makes operating a J90 look cheap.  Great compositing packages
> like Inferno cost upwards of $1 million.  Piranha costs $50k.  Etc, etc, etc.

that's rediculous.  oh well.  life sucks sometimes.

> Sitting at the machine is kinda important for this (if the software was
> written and I was just porting, that would be a different matter).  I can work
> on this on linux, it's just that the time I can spare these days for working
> on it is Tuesday and Thursday afternoons when I'm waiting around on campus
> between classes.  Most evenings are spent on homework currently.

hmmm.  well the offer still stand if you are interested.

-brian

--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)