[rescue] Re: Ultra AXi Motherboard

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Feb 25 23:37:18 CST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 11:00:31PM -0600, Eric Dittman wrote:
> > The Ultra AXi motherboard looks like an ATX form-factor board.
> > If so, does it also use an ATX power supply?
>
> Yes.  Mine is in a normal PC-style 2U rackmount case, with a horizontal
> PCI riser card.

I've got one in a nice mid-tower. I'd put it on a 250-300W supply
depending on how many drives you're running in it... don't want to try on
the tiny ones, imo.

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/nep/hardware/boards/axi/ is a good
place to look for all sorts of information on this board, including docs
and patches.

There's a good board photo on PDF page 26 of the technical manual...
http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/nep/hardware/boards/axi/docs/techman.pdf

> > Is the Ultra AXi a good board?
>
> Well. lets see.  ohno.mrbill.net (aka sunhelp.org) is a 440Mhz/4megL2
> AXi, 256meg RAM, internal 9G drive, external D1000 (hanging off a
> PCI diff. card) with lots-o-drives.  It pushes about 750meg of email
> a day, and about 250-300 meg of web traffic, plus all my personal
> stuff (small irc network, etc).

I think of it as what the U10 should've been. Dual SCSI, 8 dimm slots,
Sun-style *and* PS/2 keyboard/mouse options, and as I recall you can use
them interchangably (i.e. nice PC-style trackball and Sun Type 6 keyboard,
with a maxipad mouse plugged in too). No onboard audio and no 64/66 PCI,
but for a typical desktop Sun it's verra nice.

Mine unfortunately is gathering dust for now... but when it was plugged
in, it had a yummy 360MHz/2megL2 (120MHz bus speed) processor running
happily with about 640MB of RAM I think. There's a 10-bit vs 11-bit column
addressing issue that will hit when you pass 512MB probably, but otherwise
your U5/U10-style memory will be fairly happy in it.

Enjoy!

Rob