[rescue] Re: RAID level 6 - any experiences?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Feb 25 22:03:36 CST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Already had the Mylex RAID controller. I understand that RAID6 can
> handle more than one drive failure and keep going.  Does anyone have
> any experience with this, or should I bite the bullet and go RAID 10?

I have to admit I've never heard of RAID 6 until now, but a web search
found http://www.acnc.com/04_01_06.html for me (and I think I have a
AC&NC tshirt that reads "Got Protection?" on the back).

Which Mylex card do you have, and does it explicitly support RAID 6? This
page says it has special expectations of the controller, and I haven't
seen references to it on any of the software or hardware raid I can
remember reading about.

And on an aside, does anyone know of any available HVD RAID controller
cards suitable for handling a pile of RSM217 arrays? I've got LVD/SE RAID
controllers in PCI, standard HVD cards in PCI and SBus, and a source for a
quad channel HVD card, but I'd really like something resembling "hardware"
RAID for this stack of 28 disks.

Thanks,
Rob