[rescue] Maya Personal Edition/Mac available

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Feb 25 21:29:27 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 10:18:09PM -0500, George Adkins wrote:

> Hmm, OK.  So Maya is no better than Blender in this regard?
> So that means I might as well just give up on Maya altogether, and running
> Blender on this Onyx perhaps isn't a total waste after all? (someone reminded
> me of the value of fast video when working with complex models...)

Correct.  And fast video is good for complex models, but where the Onyx level
machines really shine is in combining tremendous CPU power with good video, and
the shear amount of bandwidth for multi-layer texturing.  Plus, the utter
flexibility of IO devices available with options like ASO and MCO.

For a maya or blender station, I believe that Octanes are considered just as
good.

> > Only a really crappy programming would use OpenGL
> > completely for final output at this point in time.
> >
> Perhaps I misunderstood how it was originally explained to me, which was that
> it would use the RE2 for rendering, and that this would be far, far more
> efficint than cpu-based rendering.

Nope.  The only thing it could possibly use to accelerate rendering is depth
testing, and as I said, that's pretty small compared to the overall amount
of calculations to be done.  And doing depth testing with GL is only
theoretical.  I don't think anyone actually does it.

> > out by things like finite element analysis (used for weather and crash
> > testing), geo-seismic exploration, etc.

> and modeling nuclear explosions?

Sure.  It would be good for viewing the results from a simulated nuclear
explosion.  But, what machien are you going to run the simulations.

--
Joshua D. Boyd