[rescue] serial consoles != being paid to work from home

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Mon Feb 25 21:09:29 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 04:07:46PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On , February 25, 2002 at 23:07:22 (+1300), Drew Whittle wrote: ]
> >
> > Me: "Errr, Yup" (as someone turns my dimmer up and the light goes on in
> > my brain...no attend the office, no 4 hours minimum pay for fixing it -
> > Damn I'm too smart for my own good.)
>
> QUICK!!!  Reneg(otiate) your contract so you're paid 4-hrs minimum for
> doing anything from anywhere, but at a slightly lower rate than on-site!

he should be paid full rate.  doesn't matter that he's working from home.  in
fact, he should get paid full rate plus bonus for being able to get the machines
back on track drive-time-to-work earlier since he didn't have to spend the time
getting to work to be able to do it.

> (seriously -- we do that as consultants and I'd never do anything less
> without being paid a high-level professional salary to take on full
> responsibility for something.  If you're paid by the hour then you need
> to be paid for the work you do no matter where you do it from, and any
> labour-law minimums must be adhered to.  We offer our clients a 1-hour
> minimum charge for off-site work, but our company is not being paid a
> salary and we're not working for only one customer.)

i'm not a consultant, i'm a salaried employee.  and i get paid my "hourly rate"
for working outside my 40 hours a week.

-brian

--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)