[rescue] Why .* sucks (was Re: FDDI card)

Josh Neal josh at unixmercenary.net
Mon Feb 25 18:40:00 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 06:32:51PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Monday, February 25, 2002 at 08:35:38 (-0800), Josh Neal wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [rescue] Why .* sucks (was Re: FDDI card)
> >
> > Yup. Intel did a decent job of adding serial console support their
> > "server" line of boards - the N440BX, L440GX and 450GX are good
> > examples. Alas, some PCI card BIOSes(Mylex!, goddamn them) hang when
> > you try to configure them via console. Sigh.
>
> They did no such thing.  The ServerBIOS serial console sucks a million
> dead monkeys through a million broken typewriters; and then it doesn't
> work.

As bad as the Intel/Phoenix BIOS-screen-redirect-over-serial may suck, they did a better job than, say, Asus/Award.

Is it as useful as a Real Machine's rom monitor? No, of course not. This is PC-class hardware, after all, no matter how many blue leds and feel-good marketing lies you add.

ObTopicDrift: Has anyone tried LinuxBIOS? (http://www.acl.lanl.gov/linuxbios/index.html) Impressions?

> (and it wasn't Intel, but Phoenix)

Thanks for clarifying that.

-josh

--
Josh Neal
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer."