[rescue] FDDI card

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Feb 25 10:41:12 CST 2002

>>> If you're not accustomed to serial consoles then it is a non-issue.
>>
>> actually, if someone thinks that GUI consoles are the best way to deal
>> with
>> SERVERS then it's obvious that not only are they not accustomed to
>> serial
>> consoles, they don't know any better.  GUI consoles are LUDICROUS.

I think GUI consoles could be good if:

1. A serial console (real one) was always available
2. They were in hardware.  (The best BIOS I ever had was an AMI BIOS
with built-in mouse driver on a 486)
3. In hardware they ran as a separate process and could make live
changes and be made fail-safe via rollbacks.

Note this is of course not a GUI console in the sense of NT.  It would
be a souped up and more graphical (icons and mouse support) version of
the SGI consoles with full network support. (ICA in firmware)

Andrew