[rescue] Why .* sucks (was Re: FDDI card)

Josh Neal josh at unixmercenary.net
Mon Feb 25 10:35:38 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 09:29:31AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 10:19:22AM -0500, George Adkins wrote:
> > Even on the Intel manufactured, high-end chipset motherboards, this does not
> > work.  Sure, it will push the POST display out of the serial port, but that
> > is all.
>
> I had serial console working fine on a peecee; one of the VA Linux boxes.  Had
> to enable serial console in the BIOS, and then enable serial console in
> Linux, but it "worked".  Not great, no OpenBoot, but it worked.

Yup. Intel did a decent job of adding serial console support their "server" line of boards - the N440BX, L440GX and 450GX are good examples. Alas, some PCI card BIOSes(Mylex!, goddamn them) hang when you try to configure them via console. Sigh.

> (hrm.. that company went out of business a year ago.... *grin*)

Long live SourceForge.

-josh

--
Josh Neal
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer."