[rescue] Veritas Backup Exec 8.6

Gregory.Andy at mtvne.com Gregory.Andy at mtvne.com
Mon Feb 25 04:00:29 CST 2002

>Writing because Backup Exec is giving me an ulcer.Daily Backups were fine
>for about 6 months, now jobs fail.

>Each response from Veritas e mail Tech Support has been ineffective. They
>want money for real support, which my company is too cheap to pay for.

>Searching for better backup software, but it seems that Veritas is the best
>from what I've seen.
>How can this be?

if you don't want to spend any money, have a look at AMANDA - Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver, www.amanda.org

i've used it succesfully with solaris, linux and netbsd all on the same net, on LAN and over a VPN.  Also with differnet single cart tape devs ( DLT7000 and Exabyte 8mm )

not sure how well (if at all) it works without a UNIX type operating system, or how well it works with multi-tape changers...

the only money you could possibly spend on this is on o'reillys UNIX backup & restore although portions of this are online at www.backupcentral.com .

good luck (remember no-one cares how well you can backup, only how well you can restore)

Andy

Andy Gregory

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged.  If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender
by replying to this message.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe