[rescue] Why .* sucks (was Re: FDDI card)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 25 03:50:20 CST 2002

On February 25, Robert Novak wrote:
> > 1) There's always going to be a bottleneck in network IO as every byte
> > that comes into the system has to be flipped around.  PC byteorder !=
> > network byte order.
>
> Most servers probably don't run at 100% of network bandwidth utilized.

  It's not a matter of network bandwidth...it's memory bandwidth and
CPU cycles that are required to swap bytes around.

> I guess it depends on what kind of server you're using it for. How much
> better is an E10k than a 486/25 as a NIS/DNS server, for example?

  Performance-wise?  For that application it's obviously a non-issue
except for very large networks...but here, I'd suspect there'd be a
reliability issue.

> A lot of modern boards seem to have serial console redirect options, and
> some boards I've seen (Netapp in particular) have some form of openboot

  Yes, they've been around for at least eight years.  And they NEVER
work right.

> PCs ain't perfect, but nothing is. Wake up, people, please. Use what works
> for you and does what you want, don't belittle other people for doing the
> same, and if your nose is too high in the air, may a camel fart into it.

  I belittle people for being idiots.  If you use the wrong tool for
the job, then you're an idiot.  Right tool vs. wrong tool isn't a
matter of opinion, nor is it open to interpretation.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire