[rescue] what are these Cray thingies worth?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Feb 24 18:47:01 CST 2002

On February 24, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >   There are no 16-bit Crays.  This is a 64-bit machine with 64-bit-wide
> > memory.  The "C94" is a YMP-C90, the very biggest and fastest of the
> > Crays until the [fairly recent] T90 came out.  It cranks 1 GFLOPS per
> > proc sustained and is liquid cooled.
>
> I didn't think there were 16bit Crays, but I wasn't positive, and so I thought
> I'd limit my statement to something I could say a bit more authoritatively.
>
> Are the T3s unrelated to the T90s then?

  Totally unrelated.  There are two main families of Cray
supercomputers...PVP (Parallel Vector Processors) and MPP (Massively
Parallel Processor) machines.  The PVP machines are the
Cray-architecture vector multiprocessors, and the MPP machines are
built around other peoples' scalar processor architectures...Alphas
and SPARCs...typically LOTS of them.

  The T3D and T3E are Alpha-based, and the CS6400 is SPARC-based.  The
T3E is fairly recent; I'm surprised any are turning up used so
quickly.  The C90 is fairly old, 1989 or 1990, but it was SO far ahead
of its time performance-wise when it was introduced that most are
still in production use today.  The C90 is a wonderful machine.

> 128mw, that's a gig of ram in this case, isn't it?

  Yup.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire