[rescue] FDDI card

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sun Feb 24 00:48:22 CST 2002

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, James Sharp wrote:

> > > I've had *MUCH* higher quality (auto-neg works, no packet loss,etc)

> Bleh auto-neg.  I've always had to hold a dead chicken over the ethernet
> port and dance around naked with a bone through my nose to get it to work
> right.

I've always seen this as the vendors trying stuff before the standard
combined with everyone trying to be "smarter" than the set on the other end.

"Hmmm... maybe the other one is broken, I'll try full-duplex".

That and combined with all the people who change the settings on their
switched and forget.

I think the real problem is that when the settings on ethernet mismatch,
it continues to work, albeit poorly.  If it just failed outright when
you had it wrong, I suspect people would put a lot more effort into
getting auto-neg working right =)

> More proof why ethernet sucks....why would you ever want half-duplex?
> Yes, I'd like for my ethernet to suck even more because it can only
> transmit one way at a time.

Uh...  because ethernet wasn't always a star topology?  Because it's still
to this day often a shared medium?

An ethernet card didn't always cost $5...

--Kurt