[rescue] Can someone recommend a UNIX based Digital Audio Workstation?

Julius Sridhar vance at ikickass.org
Sat Feb 23 20:15:00 CST 2002

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Paul Sladen wrote:

> > > Best place to ask this [these] question[s] is the "linux audio dev" mailing
> > > list found at position 1 on your local Google mirror:
> > >
> > >   http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+audio+dev
> >
> > That's only if you want something with Linux.
>
> Granted--I was pointing more towards the ``High-end multi-channel'' aspect
> of the question,  (although most of these cards may-well, only be supported
> under the Linux Kernel, and some "other" OS).

If you really want to get the best sound for things like mastering, there
are a few devices out there that take a single channel in digital using
AES/EBU signaling on XLR.  You stick six (or eight, or whatever) of these
devices to your system, and use an external reference encoder or decoder.

Peace...  Sridhar