[rescue] FDDI card

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Sat Feb 23 15:50:33 CST 2002

>On February 23, Big Endian wrote:
>>  >   Any of the DEC Tulip-based cards will kick the shit out of pretty much
>>  >anything else, from what I've seen.
>>
>>  I've had *MUCH* higher quality (auto-neg works, no packet loss,etc)
>>  from 3com cards than from tulip based ones under linux/Freebsd.  The
>>  tulips were both clone and non clone.
>
>   Wow, that goes against *everything* I've ever heard, (and more
>importantly, *experienced*) since the Tulip cards came out.
>Interesting.

Both chips blow away the shitty intel eepro chips, especially in the
failure rate department.  However I've also not done performace
studies to see which chip is actually faster/less cpu load/etc. My
experience is w/ cisco 2924xl and HP 4000m switches.  The nics are on
dual cpu Netfinities and PowerEdge boxes.  OS is linux 2.2.x, 2.4.x
and Freebsd 4.2-4.5.

daniel