[rescue] Fry's

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sat Feb 23 14:45:58 CST 2002

> > As I have said before, I have never had an IRQ conflict or an I/O port
> > conflict with a SPARC. ;) I have an E450 at work with 4 SCSI cards, 12
> > disk drives and 2 tape drives. It was relatively easy to set up. (I did
> > once have 4 different SCSI cards in a Linux box, but it took me a week
> > to do it, and I almost killed someone. Had 28 SCSI CDROM drives.
> > Actually, I haven't really been the same since...)
>
> 4 SCSI cards and 28 SCSI CDROMs is hardly "normal" for an over
> glorified PeeCee. For what they are designed for I've found most
> PeeCees good at what they intended for (barring those running Win3.x,
> Win9x/Me, WinNT OSes).
>
> Outside of the very rare XFree86 crash (OS still runs), I have no
> problems that don't exist on other platforms with my PeeCees
> running Linux.

I run Linux on lots of machines. I like it. It's how I learned about
Unix as opposed to Windows. You are exactly right about XFree86 crashes.
My experience, too. The 28 SCSI CDROM drives was a rescue (of sorts)
that had to be done for no money. With a Sun it could have been far less
painful. ;)

After only working with PeeCee hardware for the first 8 years or so that
I worked with computers, I *really* appreciate Sun hardware, though.
PeeCee architecture *does* leave something to be desired. I have far
fewer problems with Sun stuff. That was really the only point.

I can get Linux on a PeeCee to do some neazt tricks that I can't do with
Solaris on  SPARC yet, but for scalability, reliability, and ease of
setup, I do prefer Sun hardware.

--
Steve Sandau
ssandau at bath.tmac.com