[rescue] SBus vs. PCI

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Feb 23 01:41:23 CST 2002

On February 22, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> Technical reason?  I'll be damned if I've ever heard one.  Some people
> just don't like moving forward.  Hmm, let's see.
> SBUS was Developed by Sun, is IEEE P1496, and goes up to 64-bit, 25MHz =
> 200MegaBytes/sec (standard is only 32-bit/25MHz)
> PCI was Developed by Intel, isn't a stanrard, and goes up to 64-bit,
> 66MHz = 528MegaBytes/sec.

  The very first PCI Suns do 64-bit 66MHz PCI?

  There are other issues here...Sbus can initiate a new transfer
immediately following a completed one, whereas PCI takes several for
setup.  There are a few others but I don't recall the details offhand.
Now mind you, I like PCI a lot...but SBus is a better design, in my
opinion, aside from the expensive connectors and the utterly LUDICROUS
restrictions on the physical size of the board.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire