[rescue] Fry's

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Feb 22 22:36:37 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 07:17:08PM -0500, George Adkins wrote:

> To draw a parallel in wristwatches, the PeeCee industry has taken us from the
> average wristwatch being a Timex to where the average wristwatch is a Casio
> or a Swatch.

In terms of accuracy however the Casio / Swatches are just as accurate
as the below manufacturers.  And who is being more innovative?  I can
check altitude or take a digital photo in addition to telling time.

> I would prefer a world of Valjeaux, Breguet, Movado, Omega, Piaget, Heuer and
> Vacheron Constantine.

You left out Blancpain and Jaeger le Coultre.

These companies would not be able to make the watches they do, since
the equipment would not have been invented without Swatch / Timex etc.

Just like the next version of UltraSPARC chips would not be able to be
made without the process improvements driven by the PC.

FWIW, I have found the PCs I run have been every bit as stable as the
SS10 I have and the I2 on my desk.  Actually the SS10 has given me
more problems than any PC I have owned.

You just have to a) run a real OS like OpenBSD on them, b) understand
what factors will cause problems and avoid them.

./patrick