[rescue] Fry's

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Fri Feb 22 18:17:08 CST 2002

On Friday 22 February 2002 06:19 pm, you wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 05:02:49PM -0500, George Adkins wrote:
> > They make higher quality PeeCee parts?
> > The last time I checked, even the best PeeCee parts were still crap.
>
> Did an 8088 beat you up as a child or something?  Most modern
> "workstations" (yes, even SPARC systems) use what most people would call
> "PC parts" in some way or another.  yes, you have cheapass PC cases and
> cdroms and such, but you can get quality parts too.

heh, no.  I actually owned a string of PeeCees over recent years, running
windows no less.  Then something happened,  I found out  that quality comes
from careful engineering, not 'hey, me too' mass production.

Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge that the PeeCee market has driven computing
as a science and an industry over the last 10 years; on the other hand, that
doesn't mean that I don't understand that it has driven it in many of the
wrong directions.

To draw a parallel in wristwatches, the PeeCee industry has taken us from the
average wristwatch being a Timex to where the average wristwatch is a Casio
or a Swatch.

I would prefer a world of Valjeaux, Breguet, Movado, Omega, Piaget, Heuer and
Vacheron Constantine.

George