[rescue] ss 10 disk mounting grommets

Robert Rose rr at rits.com.au
Fri Feb 22 19:47:38 CST 2002

Robert> Gee, I've got a metric butt-load of them, well actually
Robert> they're from the HP hot-plug disks, but look the same as
Robert> the Sparc 10 ones except for colour (black instead of
Robert> yellow) and they've need a HP/Compaq style torx
Robert> screwdriver.

 >Rather than ship them half way around the world... where did you get
 >them from? Does HP have a part number, and do they sell them?

HP's hot-plug disk canisters (very similar to the DEC StorageWorks ones)
have regular SCSI disks (SCA) inside, they're encased in aluminium and
the disks have 4 of these mounting grommets that sit in U shaped slots
in the aluminium shells.
I got a heap of 2 and 4Gb SE and Diff disks at auction for around
$US1-3/GB, a few have been dead, but so far I've used at least 12
successfully.  It takes some effort to "peel" them, but I've got it down
to about 10 seconds now.  They've also got nifty two-colour LEDs in them
that would probably be really useful if I had something to do with them.

I doubt HP have a part number for them as the disks in their canisters
are probably considered FRUs.

Rob.