[rescue] Crimping your own

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 22 12:34:12 CST 2002

> > If you know any electricians have them get it for you.
> > Our local electical supply company is Gray Bar. Crimping
> > tools are under $30 for good ones, connectors about
> > $.06 each, and cable is $.06/foot on 1000 foot spools,
> > less if you're a contractor. For comparison, the local
> > Home Depot here sells the same brand tools for $40,
> > connectors for $.16 each, and cable is $.16 a foot on
> > a 1000 foot spool.
>
> Umm, I bought a 1000 foot spool of Cat5 at my local Home
> Despot for 49.95... that's a nickel ($0.05) a foot.  and
> the last RJ45 crimp tool I bought (which some jacka$$ at
> work walked off with) cost me $25.00.

Living somewhat near George, and having also priced such
things recently, I'll agree.  Graybar (http://www.graybar.com/)
has a decent selection, and there's one in Lanham MD or
thereabouts that I used back in early 1998 when I was setting
up to wire my being-built house.  Graybar at the time had
about the same prices as Home Depot/Lowe's (for non-contractors)
and much better selection.  With a little more demand from
DIY folks, though, it seems that Home Depot has better
prices.  The selection of parts seems a little better at
Graybar, though--for in-wall stuff, I was able to choose
between several different types of wallplates, patch panels,
etc.  The selection at Home Depot definitely varies from
store to store, too--the one 3 minutes from my work has
stopped carrying LocTite, and the folks on the floor have
no clue why.  Another one further away has oodles of the
stuff.

  --Rip