[rescue] Crimping your own

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Fri Feb 22 12:23:21 CST 2002

> > > with different wiring schemes, and it looks like the time has come to
> > > surrender to the inevitable. Thanks!
> >
> > Home depot.
>
> 	Not... Even Fry's is cheaper on all this.

Great, where was it you said that the closest Fry's was here on the East
Coast?

Oh...

Not all of us live in FSCKing California, Arizona or Texas.

Home Despot, on the other hand, is pretty much everywhere.

> If you know any
> electricians have them get it for you. Our local electical supply company
> is Gray Bar. Crimping tools are under $30 for good ones, connectors about
> $.06 each, and cable is $.06/foot on 1000 foot spools, less if you're a
> contractor. For comparison, the local Home Depot here sells the same brand
> tools for $40, connectors for $.16 each, and cable is $.16 a foot on a
> 1000 foot spool.

Umm, I bought a 1000 foot spool of Cat5 at my local Home Despot for 49.95...
that's a nickel ($0.05) a foot.  and the last RJ45 crimp tool I bought (which
some jacka$$ at work walked off with) cost me $25.00.

George