[rescue] Sun help please

Phil Schilling phils at gcstech.net
Fri Feb 22 05:25:57 CST 2002

Kenneth Dunn wrote:

> Hi all. I picked up the Sun today. I thought I was going to pick up a
> pizza box, what I got was a Sun built into a monitor. It is apparently
> a Sparc 1, no keyboard or instructions.
>
> At the back of the monitor are what appears to be an AUI port, a high
> density 50 pin SCSI port, a (serial?) port marked "A/B", Sun sound
> and keyboard ports.
>
> It powers up, after 30s or so the CRT displays the following message:
>
>         No keyboard.  Using input device ttya.
>         Using output device ttya.
>
> I've not tried connecting it to one of my PCs with a null modem cable
> because I'm assuming that what appears to be a serial port on the
> Sun requires a Y-splitter cable. If so where can I find out how to make
> one ?
>
> Details on back of case:
>
>         Model: 4/20FM-8
>         PN: 599-1772-02
>         FRU PN: #570-1057
>         System ID: 026G16633
>
> I've not found anything on the Sun website, and Sun in Auckland,NZ
> is closed for the weekend. Any information on this computer very
> welcome.

Kenneth,
	Never worked with that specific machine but on other suns you can plug your
null modem into the a/b no problem. Only need the y cable if you need both
serial ports.  All the sparcstation pizza boxes work this way.

Phil
--
"I talk to myself, and when I do that, I know I am talking to an
           an intelligent person" - Nelson DeMille

        Phil Schilling - GCS Tech - phils at gcstech.net