[rescue] Ss 4/5 speed

Rebecca Ore rebecca at ogoense.net
Thu Feb 21 19:28:45 CST 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, George Adkins wrote:

> > Not a lot.  All the groups I'm carrying and about 20 users run about 30
> > kb/sec high average.  I used to run a smaller number of groups on an LX off
> > a sdsl line.  The present box is in colo, with a 1 megabit/sec cap.
> >
> so maybe comp.* would run less than 10kb/sec steady flow?
> maybe less than 7?

Rough guess.  I don't know how comp.* compares to rec.* and sci.*  Those three
are much larger than the other hieararchies I carry.  Also depends on peers and
users.  If you're just getting a feed of comp.* from your provider and send
back only local posts, that's less bandwidth than if you're transitting between
four active sites.

> > Comp.* also doesn't tend to get the weird cancel wars that rec, news, and
> > some of the alt.* groups get.
> Cancel wars?

Someone decides to obliterate his enemies -- and cancels all their posts.  Can
range from circa 20 cancels to 14,000 cancels in really a short time.  Also
there are floods -- again, not so common in comp.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net