[rescue] Ss 4/5 speed

Rebecca Ore rebecca at ogoense.net
Thu Feb 21 18:40:56 CST 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, George Adkins wrote:

> > If you don't carry a couple of the larger groups, the newsfeed becomes
> > something that an SS5 can more than handle.
> >
> Hm,
> Just as a very, very coarse guess, How much would just comp.* suck
> (bandwidth-wise).  Any Idea?

Not a lot.  All the groups I'm carrying and about 20 users run about 30 kb/sec
high average.  I used to run a smaller number of groups on an LX off a sdsl
line.  The present box is in colo, with a 1 megabit/sec cap.

Comp.* also doesn't tend to get the weird cancel wars that rec, news, and some
of the alt.* groups get.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net