[rescue] Can someone recommend a UNIX based Digital Audio Workstation?

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Thu Feb 21 13:48:31 CST 2002

>I have a setup now running a Sonorus STUDI/O under
>Linux X86, but would like to put together a non-Intel
>audio workstation.
>
>The Sun/Creative Labs Ultra seems to be discontinued,
>and is 16 bit. I'd like a 20 or 24 bit card.
>I see a reference to an 20 bit Ultra Pro in a press release only.
>Was it ever marketed?
>
>Any other platforms that run UNIX with good sound capabilities?

I would reccomend an Octane.  On board ADAT and S/PDIF I/O as well as
analog I/O.  The tools built into IRIX are not bad(not the greatest
either but usable) and there are commercial and open source programs
available for it as well.  Also Octanes are relatively cheep now
($5-700 for a low end model, which is fine for the audio work).

daniel