[rescue] Personal Workstation 433a happiness

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Thu Feb 21 10:13:54 CST 2002

>> Workstation 433a. This guy is a downgraded, mentally handicaped version
>> of the o-so-wonderful Personal Workstation, just without the "u" in
>> "433au", making it "impossible" to anything else than WindowsNT 4.0 or
>> Windows2000 pre-release.
>
>Why would anyone create such a thing?

Price structure.  I've seen low-end machine tool controls that ship with
all the hardware and software of the more expensive models, the only
difference being some bits flipped in the configuration memory.  Pay $$$
for the upgraded features and a technician comes out to enter a code.
Instant upgrade.

My guess: DEC used the same hardware on both machines to reduce production
costs, but wanted to charge more for the unix hardware (maybe to support
the cost of the os development).

newell