[rescue] Barrage of questions

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.com
Wed Feb 20 11:55:06 CST 2002

>> 3) Speaking of FDDI and drivers, does anybody have programming info for
>> the old VME FDDI/DX board, 501-1276? I don't suppose that a diskless
>> -3 or -4 will run that much faster on mounts via FDDI than via 10base,
>> but it would be neat.
>
>why not?  100Mbit vs 10Mbit, 4500 MTU vs 1500 MTU, lots of reasons why FDDI
>would be faster.
>
>VME goes a lot faster than 10Mbit.  :)

   Actually, I was thinking of the CPU. I'm sure it will run somewhat
faster, but will a 16MHz 68020 be able to handle packets that fast or will
it start dropping them above an effective nn Mbits << 100?

   Anyway, unless somebody has info so I can write a driver, it's a moot
point. As far as I know, the only OS support is SunOS 4.0.3 through 5.1.

   --James B.