[rescue] Re: Indy question

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Feb 19 22:27:27 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> i'm thinking about picking an indy up on ebay for cheap.  what CPU do
> i want it to have?  what are the options?  what are the pros and cons
> for each cpu?  what is the fastest one?

There are some yummy faqs out there...

	http://www.amazing.com/internet/old-sgi-faq.html

	http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/indy/

	http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/indyinfo.html

	http://www.reputable.com/indytech.html

Looks like an R5000 180MHz might be good, but as the Mormons say,
everything's relative. :) I just got a pair of R4600 133MHz machines with
512KB cache, and they're light years ahead of the SGI stuff I had three
months ago (a Challenge M chassis without power supply or memory or
drives). :)

--Rob