[rescue] Ss 4/5 speed

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Feb 19 18:06:46 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, James Sharp wrote:

> > SS4s and 5s have plenty of uses, though, as dedicated single-purpose
> > servers for all sorts of things; firwalls, web/ftp servers, mail, etc...
> > Anyone who's got a few extras can feel free to send them my way.
> >

> I have an SS 5/170 sitting in my home entertainment rack right
> now...netbooted & running via NFS mounts...its a dedicated MP3 player.

There are so many little uses for older Sparcs.

Someone's earlier post about a TCP/IP card for a Laserjet III prompted
me to remember the one I had and couldn't configure because it required
bootp and jetadmin for Solaris.  Popped it out, installed it, and set up
my LX (didn't have it when I got the card originally) to config the card.
Works like a charm... my Laserjet III Postscript 52.2 is finally directly
connected to the net 10BaseT.  I replaced a 3port 10/100 Ethernet to
Parallel port Linksys printserver with this solution.  Anyone want the
Linksys? (Even though it's 10Mbps this is much faster than the Linksys
was; esp since I was only using one port.  I used to have two occupied,
but that wasn't working nicely in a mixed Apple/PC environment)

Andrew J. Weiss