[rescue] Ss 4/5 speed

Adam Kropelin akropel1 at rochester.rr.com
Tue Feb 19 15:38:43 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brent B. Powers" <sunrescue at b2pi.com>
To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 4:28 PM
Subject: [rescue] Ss 4/5 speed

> Is there a reasonable way of determining processor speed on a sparc 4
> or 5? Even looking at the processor doesn't tell me much...

You should be able to infer the clock speed from J103/J104 settings. Though I'm
still confused as to exactly how those are supposed to be read. The web
references I've seen tend to contradict the slikscreening.

>  Whilst on the subject, there's an mbus connector on a sparc
> 5, between the dimm slots and the first (last?) sbus connector. Anyone
> ever tried?

Actually, that's an AFX slot. It's for accellerated graphics hardware. The S24
supports AFX, I think. A friend just picked one of those up for $90. Neat, but
more than I'd pay for a video card...

--Adam