[rescue] SS1000 confusion

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.com
Tue Feb 19 00:20:37 CST 2002

   Just received the first SS1000 for my frankenstein project. Inspecting
part numbers reveals that the system board is a 501-2668, for a 1000E.
But it's fitted with a pair of SM41's, which shouldn't work in a 1000E.
My first suspicion was that it had been frankensteined together itself
and was a nonworking configuration, but further disassembly revealed
that the system control board is a 501-1979, a 40MHz unit for a 1000.

   Question: if you put a 1000E board in a chassis with a 1000 system
control board, will it function as a 1000 board? That would be kinda
handy. I'd fire it up and try it, but first I need to vacuum all the
crushed foam out of it -- UPS had a good whack at it, crushing some
of the packing and breaking a few chunks out of the cosmetic panels. :P
Luckily, the actual chassis is heavy sheet steel and could probably go
through the side of the truck and still work. :)

   --James B.