[rescue] memory in a classic

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Feb 18 20:20:42 CST 2002

I'm trying to upgrade the ram in a sparc classic.

So, there are 6 simm sockets.  I think I have to add simms in pairs, right?
So, which is the first bank the bank nearest the front, or the bank nearest the
back?

I have 4 parity 16megs simms that I'm trying to put in this machine, plus 2
4 meg simms.  The 4 megs were taken from the same machine yesterday.  The 16s
were taken in working condition from an IPX.  2 of these simms have sun part
numbers, the other 2 don't.

I've tried every pair in the front and the back slots, and still no luck
getting the machine to survice to the openboot prompt.  Some of the errors
I've been getting are:
Data Access Exception

and

ERROR : FPU Exception Did Not Block Store, addr = 00600000, exp = 00000000, obs = 0f884010, xor = 0f884010
     U-NUMBER : Suspect Tsunami Module

and

     ERROR : FPU Registerfile Stuck-at Fault
         00000000 :  00000000  0f00fbbf
         00000002 :  00000000  0f05fbbf
         00000004 :  00000000  1b25fbbf
         00000006 :  00000000  0f85fbbf
         00000008 :  00000000  0f01fbbf
         0000000a :  00000000  0f80fbbf
         0000000c :  00000000  51a1fbbf
         0000000e :  00000000  0504fbbf
         00000010 :  00000000  0f04fbbf
         00000012 :  00000000  0f80fbbf
         00000014 :  00000000  0fa5fbbf
         00000016 :  00000000  4505fbbf
         00000018 :  00000000  0fa5fbbf
         0000001a :  00000000  0b04fbbf
         0000001c :  00000000  0b80fbbf
         0000001e :  00000000  0f80fbbf
     U-NUMBER : Suspect Tsunami Module

Also, I have a pair of 8meg simms.  They have 24chips on them.  Would this
indicate that they are parity?  I also have 2 16meg simms with only 8 chips,
so I'm thinking there is no chance they are parity.

--
Joshua D. Boyd