[rescue] S-bus FDDI cards and NetBSD drivers, again.....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 18 19:35:39 CST 2002

On February 18, George Adkins wrote:
> > This has been rehashed several times.  The challenge to writting
> > drivers for the SBUS fddi boards is writing a complete SMT
> > implementation as there isn't any in hardware.  I belive the hardware
> > it self is relatively well documented and should be easy to write
> > drivers for.
> >
> Right, we've been over this before.  But, isn't there already a working SMT
> implementation already out there? i.e. the SunFDDI driver?
>
> How difficult  can it be?  if you can have <cough> *Linux" binary
> compatibility, how hard can it be to write a shim to work with the SunFDDI
> driver?

  The ability to run linux executables is one thing...device drivers are
a whole different story.  I'd say it'd be easier to write it from
scratch two or three times over than to write a driver compatibility
layer.  The internal structures of the operating systems are just too
different, not to mention how they expect to see and initialize the
hardware.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire