[rescue] S-bus FDDI cards and NetBSD drivers, again.....

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Feb 18 19:12:57 CST 2002

[ On Monday, February 18, 2002 at 19:04:52 (-0500), Brian Hechinger wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] IPFILTER woes
>
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 06:44:57PM -0500, George Adkins wrote:
> > Yeah, don't run your firewall on Slowlaris.
> > run it on OpenBSD or NetBSD if you're good at tightening a Box up.
>
> this was my first choice.  there is one serious flaw with this though.  there
> is to this day, no SBus FDDI support in anything but Solaris.  so i have no
> choice but to run Solaris on this machine.  and besides, Solaris is not that
> terrible a thing.  really.

I've offered to work on a driver (initially for NetBSD) if someone ships
me a card I can keep (and preferrably with the right cables to plug it
into my FDDI-ready DECswitch 900EF)....  :-)

Just "finger woods at most.weird.com" for my mailing address!  ;-)

Of course I'll need to find hardware docs for said card (and its chip if
there's not already a compatible low-level chip driver), and having a
CDDI media converter would be nice too as I've got some PCI CDDI cards
that should also interface (and which already have NetBSD drivers).

--
								Greg A. Woods