[rescue] Re: IPFILTER woes

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Feb 18 18:40:51 CST 2002

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 06:34:52PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >
> > Anyway I'd personally stay about as far away from any sparc64 stuff as
> > possible, at least for production use....
>
> i'm sorry, that's just a rude comment for rude comment's sake.  i've been
> running sparc64+Solaris since they came out.  in production.  and not on my
> piddly little home systems either.  from maxed out UE6500 and down.  and they
> are more stable than most other hardware.  maybe not the most stable, but i've
> had great luck with them.

Heh. You shouldn't be sorry, Greg should. But then we'd wonder who had
replaced him with Folgers Crystals or the like. :)

I have seen little bits of things that suggest the free BSD OSes are not
as stable on sparc64 as they are on sparc32, so maybe that's what he was
thinking. In that case, it would be an accurate but misstated concern.

I run a lot of Solaris 7 and 8 on production and testbed sparc64 stuff (I
think our lab here at work has everything short of 10k, in multiple
quantities) and both the sparc64 hardware and the OSes that run on it do
what they're expected to, pretty well in fact. And any Solaris sysadmin
worth his salt should be able to make sparc64 hardware work pretty well
on any OS that supports the 64bit side (i.e. Sol2.3 might not be the best
choice for your Starcat... duh).

--Rob