[rescue] IPFILTER woes

Derrick D. Daugherty derrick at blinky-lights.org
Mon Feb 18 17:09:22 CST 2002

It's rumored that around Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 05:39:09PM -0500
Brian Hechinger <wonko at arkham.ws> wrote:
> ok, so here's what happens.  the machine locks dead.  no panic, just stopped.
> i can break to the rom and reboot the machine.  it happens at seemingly random
> intervals.  i saw the posts about ipmon hanging solaris, but i have tried it
> with ipmon running and without ipmon running.  hangs both ways.

i'm guessing this thing is actually pushing a buncha traffic?  IIRC it's
a shared mem thang..you'll wanna set it in /etc/system and reboot..or if
you're feelin' really crazy you can alter the running kernel.  if it's a
semi-fresh boot you could prolly do it.  hell, if it's jsut a firewall
and no db to screw up might as well get adventerous and edit it live :D

the Panic! book would prolly cover it..maybe..  I dunno if they'd tell
someone how to break their system :)

but if ya want...

adb -wk /dev/ksyms /dev/mem    (yer now in the guts of the live kernel)
shminfo_shmmax/D               (take a peek at current setting, replace
                                with which one ya wanna see)

shminfo/W1000000   (10m in  hex)  or

shminfo/W0t16777216   in decimal.. for 64bit kernel use Z instead of W

trick is finding what good values would be...but i'm pretty sure that's
the issue.  mebbe compile ipfilter with debugging symbols?

HTH
^D