[rescue] IRIX overlays

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Mon Feb 18 11:29:05 CST 2002

>Big Endian wrote:
>>
>>  I'm looking for odds and ends of IRIX.  I'd like to make an ISO set
>>  that is complete from 4.0.5(the earliest I have) to the latest 6.5 to
>>  help those people who have been rescuing sgis.  If possible I'd like
>>  to find things like IndyZone and various versions of the applications
>>  cds.  Anybody have this stuff?
>>

>FWIW: I thought about doing exactly what you're proposing, but didn't
>because, AFAIK, Irix is copyrighted such that you can't make copies and
>distribute.  Yes, I've made copies for people, but never on a large
>scale...

According to SGI, Each machine has a version of irix that its
registered and licensed for.  I sold a challenge DM to a friend and
they said that it was licensed for 5.3, so it was ok for him to make
a copy of 5.3 from somebody who had 5.3 so that he could get his
machine up and running.  This is the extent of what I'm proposing.
If someone can send me proof that their machine is licensed for an
older version of IRIX that they don't have then I'll burn them cds or
let them download them.  I'm not sure how this would work w/ 6.5.x
but I know that SGI has allowed things like this for 5.3 and 6.2.

daniel