[rescue] Re:serial expansion question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Feb 17 00:14:27 CST 2002

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:11:32AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Boy, I'm increasingly realizing how hard it is to find Sun information.  For
> instance, the Sun Hardware Faq says that IPXs take 72pin simms, but that
> the classic takes 60ns simms.  Now, I know that the simms in the classic
> are 72pins.  So, I suppose this means that classic ram would work in the
> IPX.  But, the real question is, would the IPX ram work in the classic?
> This is of high interest since the IPX has 64megs of ram, and all it has
> to do is run NetBSD to operate a bootserver, which would work fine on less
> ram, but if I'm to put Solaris 8 on a classic, well, it needs all the ram
> it can get.

Well, as soon as I posted that, I manged to pull up a page from googles cache
that indicates that the IPX only requires 80ns and that some Classics will
work with 70ns, but 80ns was untested.  Plus, my IPX very well could have
better memory that called for.  I'll have to take down the boot server sometime
and try swapping the ram to see if I can pull it off.

--
Joshua D. Boyd